Thursday, January 18, 2007

Who Said It?



I was over at Watergatesummer the other day and I left the comment, "Killing for peace is like fucking for virginity".

Well... I was quite amazed at how many people loved it and thought it was an original. Enigma had used it before and wasn't sure where she had heard it. Other's had too. Enigma even wondered if the quote was mine.

No. Wish it was, but...

I futher allowed that the quote was a slogan of the '60's Peace Movement. There were, in fact, different versions, such as the one in the picture. Some were cleaned up to read "screwing" instead of "fucking", othere's said "fighting" instead of "killing" or "bombing".

The fact remains, however, that the original saying was "Killing For Peace Is Like Fucking For Virginity".

After leaving Enigma's, it kept rattling around in my brain. I knew I had heard it 30 some years ago, but where? With whom? When? By whom? As I struggled to activate these mental clues it occurred to me that I might be able to employ "Modern Tech-mology" to find the source! What a novel idea? Google!

As soon as I saw who it was, it all came back to me in vivid day-glo colors of the sort brought on by a 35 year old frozen tab of Sunshine! I remembered immediately and, in fact, I still have the album on vinyl.

So drumroll please......................

The answer is..............................

Without further ado....................

The one..........

The only........

An icon of '60's Culcha!


George Carlin!

Ta Daaaaaaa! Ain't I sumpin?

d.

No comments: