Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Michael Richards Is Not Alone...


Michael Richards isn't alone. I, too, am guilty. So are most of my friends. It seems at one time or another, almost everyone I know has said it.
Almost. Still, that's far too many.

I'm speaking of the "N" word, "nigger".

The word was born in hate. It is demeaning, hurtful, disrespectful and hateful.

When a white person uses it, it conveys a feeling of racial superority to the user and nothing but disrespectful hatred toward all black people. When a black person uses it, he or she undermines the glorious achievements of black people as a whole.

The picture above is of the 369th Infantry Regiment, New York, "Harlem's Hellfighters". It was taken in 1919 during World War I. The Hellfighters were the first Americans to ever be awarded France's Croix de Guerre. They were one of the most decorated American Units in the War and fought alongside the Marines at the Battle of Belleau Wood.

So, what does this have to do with the "N" word?

Everything.

Black Americans have fought and shed blood for this country since the Revolutionary War. The South and a good part of the North was built on their backs. They have earned and deserve the respect and fellowship of their fellow Americans. The use of the "N" word undermines this and separates us as Americans at a time in our history when we need to draw together, live together and work together to restore our nation to it's full potential. Divisive tactics have long been employed by those seeking to maintain power. After all, if we're watching them and they're watching us, whose watching those at the top?

So, to all my black Brothers and Sisters, I am sorry. I have contributed to the hate and divisiveness of the races. I pledge to never use the word again, to strive for racial harmony and mutual respect. I will not support those, black or white, who use the word. I will not contribute to the hate.

Enough.

Please accept my most sincere apology.

Harlem's Hellfighters

d.

No comments: