Monday, February 25, 2008

Taps For Lurch

















I originally posted this after reading about Lurch's passing some 10 days ago at Alternate Brain. Explanations can be found at
Main & Central.

Thanks,

d.

This morning as I was making my rounds of the blogosphere, I found this at Alternate Brain.

Lurch, of Main & Central, has died.

I never really knew Lurch. I like the way the man thought though. His comments here were always well thought out and humorous.

I will miss your sharp wit. Until we meet again, I offer this for you:




The Final Inspection


The Trooper stood and faced his God

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining

Just as brightly as his brass.

Step forward now, oh, Airborne Troop,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?


The Trooper squared his shoulders... said,

"No, Lord, I guess I ain't,

'cause those of us who carry guns

Can't always be a saint.


I've had to work most Sundays

And at times my talk was tough,

And sometimes I've been violent,

'cause the world is awfully rough.


But, I never took a penny

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime

When the bills just got too steep,

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear,

And sometimes, God forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place

Among the people here,

They never wanted me around

Except to calm their fear.


"If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand,

I never expected or had too much,

So if you don't, I'll understand."


A silence fell all 'round the throne

Where Saints had often trod,

As the Trooper awaited quietly,

The judgment of his God.


Step forward now, My Fine Trooper,

You've borne your burdens well,

Walk your post on Heaven's streets,

You've served your time in Hell.

Sleep in Peace, Brother.





Semper Fidelis.

d.


No comments: